Energizer: Positively Connecting the Group
Here is a quick energizer I’ve used in various formats for many years. I learned and adapted it from my Portland colleague Paula Manley! It is also based on the “flow” concept of Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi. It works with groups of all sizes and generations. It works because it uses the neuroscience concept of creating a positive brain state so that learning and productivity are enhanced. I would use it for a team that perhaps is just forming, new members have arrived, or you need a new way for people to share more personally. It would be a formidable way to connect different generations in the workforce!
Timing: 10 minutes
Group size: 8-50+
Supplies: Colored file cards, pens, timer, and sound makers
Watch about it here!
If you wish to debrief it, here are some questions to ask:
- What are some of the activities you shared?
- What struck you about this exercise?
- What did you learn about yourself?
- What did you learn about others?
- How can you apply the concept of this exercise to today’s session objectives?
If your group is smaller or timing is tight, only use three cards per person.